Wednesday, August 17, 2011

First Day of School (kind of)

Callie Grace went to school for 2 hours and 15 minutes today with half of her class.  Tomorrow is her first full day and the entire class will be in attendance.  Kip and I both went to drop her off this morning and to attend a parent meeting.

Excitement on this girl's face was an understatement...

Mrs. Brant greeted us at the door and told Callie Grace to give her mom and dad a bye hug.  It felt like the world's largest band-aid was being ripped off of my entire body.  I think I told Callie Grace that I loved her and to use her listening ears.  I felt like things were moving super quick and super slow at the same time.  What a weird feeling!  Callie Grace was heading into her classroom before I could even make heads or tails of the situation.

Kip and I then went into a parent meeting in the library.  There, the guidance counselor spoke of emotions and dealing with our children who were growing up before our very eyes.  I...so...did...not...want...to...be...in...that...room.

Miss Cindy brought Callie Grace and Caleb by my work around 10:30am so I could see them and see how CG's day went.  CG's reply, "it was great; just like old times".   Caleb was excited that he got to go with mimi to pick sissy up from her new school.


here is a picture of our girl when she came to visit me at work today

Well, one day down, a bazillion more to go (hopefully).

Looks like I'll be making that dr. appt. for some serious medication sooner than later!:)

I love the following words that my friend, Jamie emailed me today.  They are from her pastor.

The first day of school always brings about many emotions and memories. A couple years ago, a parent at Mount Hermon emailed me pictures of the first day of Kindergarten for her daughter. The child was beaming wearing her new backpack and trying to hold back pure excitement and maybe a little fear of the new experiences that awaited her. The mother admitted that she was trying to hold back tears.

Today reminds us that our children are a blessing and gift from God to us. Over time we begin to give them back that they may grow and be a blessing to the world. Offerings - if they are true offerings - involve some sacrifice and are not easy on our part. If something or someone is truly a gift of God, then it still belongs to God and must be shared and given. Such is the nature of a true gift. Such is the nature of our offerings to God.

If you are a parent and fighting off some tears today, be of good courage. You are doing a good thing. You are sharing a blessing with the world. May we all remember to be so generous with our gifts from our loving heavenly Father.


Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment