Sunday, February 19, 2017

Celebrating Mama Helen

Today we celebrated Kip's grandmother's 89th birthday. Mama Helen's mind has left her. Very few words come out of her mouth, yet her presence is a strong constant. I remember the very first time that I met Mama Helen. I liked her instantly. She made the best cabbage I had ever eaten. She loved Kip Burgess and Kip Burgess adored his Mama Helen. He would joke around and give her a hard time but there was never any question that they loved one another. All of my grandparents had been in heaven for many years when Mama Helen came into my life. And, although she wasn't my grandmother by blood, she became my grandmother in all the ways that really counted.
So, today I held Mama Helen's hand and looked into her kind eyes and told her that I love her. I'll always love that precious lady and hold close to my heart the times that we shared. Thank you for showing me what love and commitment really look like, even when it is the last thing you feel like doing because family matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment